Monday, March 26, 2012

Hawk...Yikes!

As I pulled up my driveway today, a huge bird flew from next to the coop up into the woods.  It was a hawk.  I think I now know what happened to my poor silkie roo :(  I decided to let the chickens stay inside today.  It was amazing to observe how the chickens reacted to the hawk.  When I got out of my car, even though the hawk was gone, there was not a sound coming from the coop and not a chicken to be seen.  After about 5-10 minutes, a rooster (Tito) slowly stuck his head out of the coop and looked around. After feeling fairly sure the coast was clear, Tito slowly walked into the protected part of their outdoor run, scanning the surroundings for signs of the hawk.  Once he had been outside for a couple minutes without further incident, the other chickens began to emerge.  I will have to keep my eye out for this hawk as she seems to know where she can find food now.

No comments:

Post a Comment